You're getting ready for bed, but you know you won't be getting any sleep because -- once again -- there's a huge party on your block. It's after midnight, they've got 3 dozen people in their backyard, they've got 6-foot tall speakers, and the music is rattling your windows.
You think about calling 311 but you remember what happened the last time you called -- you were on hold for 35 minutes before you gave up. And even if you got through, the police aren't going to respond that evening. But it is very important that you, and your neighbors, make it known who is making life miserable in Woodhaven.
So, here's some instructions on how you can quickly and easily file the noise complaint online.
Note: This is not going to solve the noise problem in Woodhaven. It will take a number of different approaches. But all roads lead back to having a solid database of chronic noise offenders. If we don't file noise complaints -- and keep track of them -- they will never get resolved.
Entering a Noise Complaint Online
1) Click here to access 311's Night Noise Survey.
2) Enter a description of the noise -- and enter the date and time. Then click the arrow to move to the next screen.
3) At the next screen identify the type of location, the borough, the street address and any other pertinent information about the location. (Note: We have blurred out the address in the image below). It is extremely important that you enter the exact address. Once you are done with this screen, click the arrow.
Once you click the arrow, 311 will verify the street address you entered. This may take a moment or two -- be patient.
4) Next, review all of the information that you've entered. If you spot a mistake, you can click edit to go back and change it. When finished, you need to look at the letters in the graphic, enter it into the box, and click Submit Form.
The 311 system will display the following while your complaint is being submitted. Please be patient, it will take a moment or two.
5) Last step, the 311 system will display a message that your complaint has been successfully submitted. It will give you a Service Request Number. You Need To Keep This Number and Report It To The Woodhaven Residents' Block Association.
You can e-mail it to the WRBA at email@example.com. Or, you can call the WRBA at 718-296-3735 (if no one answers, leave a message).
Please pass along (1) the street address as well as (2) the Service Request Number.
The WRBA will build a database of chronic noise locations and advocate on your behalf that action be taken. And once increased fines are in place, thanks to Councilman Eric Ulrich's pending change to the Noise Bill, these locations will be visited.
Here is a brief video showing you how easy it is to enter a noise complaint online:
Pass this link along to your friends and (especially) your neighbors. Let's start building that database.
Click here for a printable version of these instructions.
If you have any comments, or would like to suggest other projects, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Return to Project Woodhaven's Home Page
Photos by Joey Wendell